I was born to an artistic Massachusetts family. I started drawing and painting very early. My home was filled with beautiful paintings done by my great grandmother. She traveled to the White Mountains in New Hampshire in the 1890"s to paint "en plein air". I was inspired by these paintings and encouraged by my family. I always knew I wanted to be an artist.
I received a National Scholastic Art Scholarship in high school to go to the art school of my choice.I dreamed of becoming an illustrator and choose Vesper George School of Art in Boston. One of my teachers was Robert Douglas Hunter. He noticed my talent and encouraged me to move from commercial art to fine art.I transferred to the School of the Museum of Fine Art in Boston, Massachusetts and majored in painting.
In my early twenties I had an urge to travel and headed west. I was struck by the awesome beauty of the Rocky Mountains.I settled in the historic mining town of Ward, Colorado, surronded by National Forest and near the Indian Peaks Wilderness area. Hiking, backpacking, and living in a small town suited me. I am still here today.
After many years of working with pastels, I felt like holding a brush again.I decided to get serious about oils and signed up for workshops with the best teachers and painters I could find. I studied with Kim English, Skip Whitcomb, Kang Cho,Greg Kreutz, George Strickland, Carolyn Anderson and Kevin Weckbach. I can't begin to describe how great it is to spend time with teachers so willing to share their knowledge and experience.
I enjoy painting just about anything - landscapes, interiors, buildings and figures, but my greatest love is plein air painting. The weather, the light, and the land all become part of me. Heading out into nature, looking around and being inspired by a beautiful composition and translating that to my canvas right then and there is always exciting to me.
I stiil love to travel to New England, Florida and the mountains and deserts of the Southwest. You can often find me happily painting on the side of a road, in some grubby alleyway, or off on some trail past the "no trespassing" sign.
- RMPAP Show "Colors of Colorado", Steamboat Art Museum, Plein Air Magazine Certificate of Merit, 2011
- PAAC National Show, Saks Gallery, Honorable Mention, 2011
- Boulder County Plein Air Exhibit, SWArt Magazine 3rd Place, 2011
- Nomades Del Artes, Plein Air Show, Southwest Gallery, Dallas, Texas, 2009
- Rocky Mt. Plein Air Painters, National Show, Winter Park, Co. 2009, Crested Butte, Co. 2010
- 2010 The Art of the Landscape. Arts at Denver
- 2008 Collective Show, Showings Fine Art, Denver, Co. 2008
- 2nd Annual Miniature Show, Mary Williams Fine Art,Boulder, Co. 2008
- Holiday Show, Susan Powell Fine Arts, Madison, Ct. 2008.
- Representing the West, Sangre de Christo Art Center, Pueblo, Co. 2008, 2009, 2010
- Rocky Mt. Plein Air Painters, The Seasons, Lochvale Gallery, Estes Park, Co. 2008
- A Sense Of Place, Two Artist Show, Mary Williams Fine Art, Boulder, Co. 2007
- RMPAP National Show, Winter Park, Co. 2007
- RMPAP Signature Show, Steamboat Springs, Co. 2006.
- RMPAP National Show, Winter Park,Co. 2006
- Oil Painters Of America,Western Regional Show.2005
- RMPAP National Show, Estes Park, Co. 2005
- RMPAP Signature Show, Tuson, AZ.2005
- Best And Brightest, Scottsdale Artist School, Scottsdale,AZ.2004
2012 Windows to the Divine, "Altitude and Attitude" Award of Merit, Abend Gallery, Denver, CO.
2011 Southwest Art Magazine, Third Place Award, Boulder County Parks and Open space Plein Air Exhibit
2011 Award of Merit, Colors Of Colorado Show, Steamboat Art Museum, Steamboat Springs ,CO.
2011 Plein Air Artsts Colorado, National Show, Third Place Award , Saks Gallery, Denver, CO.
2011 Southwest Art Magazine, Award of Excellence, Rocky Mountain Plein Air Painters, National Show, Pagosa Springs CO.
- 2011 Rocky Mountain Plein Air Painters Show, Pagosa Springs, CO - Award of Excellence
- Honorable Mention, Plein Air Artists of Colorado, 2011
- Artist Choice, Best Body of Work, Rocky Mt. Plein Air Painters, National Show, 2007
- Award of Excellence, Rocky Mt. Plein Air Painters, National Show, 2007
- Artist Choice, Best Body of Work, RMPAP Signature Show, 2006
- Award of Excellence. RMPAP, National Show, 2006
- Best of Show, James Creek Art Show, Jamestown, Co. 2006
- Award of Excellence, Rocky Mt. Plein Air Painters, National Show, 2005
- Award of Merit, Rocky MT. Plein Air Painters, Miniature Show, 2005
Affiliations Rocky Mountain Plein Air Painters, Signature Member
Tucson Plein Air Painters
Oil Painters of America