The fine art of David W. Mayer captures the beauty and color of Colorado and West, from the high plains to
the Rocky Mountains and from the Pacific Coast to the desert Southwest.
David's paintings let you experience first-hand the warm light of a prairie morning, the soft, cool colors
of blue-shadowed snow, and the brilliant gold of a high country late Autumn day.
"My thanks to Scott Christensen for helping me to see the color that's really there in nature, and
to Ted Goerschner for helping me to see the color that's missing." David W. Mayer
David W. Mayer is a member of the Oil Painters of America (OPA), as well as the American Impressionist Society (AIS), the Rocky Mountain Plein Air Painters (RMPAP), and the Colorado Plein Air Painters (CPAP) and is an avid “plein air” painter with an emphasis on portraying the beauty of Colorado and the Rocky Mountain West as well as the Southwest, California and the West Coast.
He has studied with Scott Christensen, T. Allen Lawson, Kevin MacPherson, Ted Goerschner, and David Leffel as well as through the writings and works of Richard Schmid, Edgar Payne, Joaquin Sorolla and the California Impressionists. While he was an award winning watercolorist who studied with Tony Couch, David has concentrated exclusively on Oil painting for the past ten years. David was also an Art Director and Creative Director in print, web, interactive media and marketing communications prior to painting full time as a professional landscape artist.
2011 Shows, Awards and Recognition (to date)
Plein Air Workshop: 8 day "Plein Air Painting Workshop in Provence, France - June 2011
- Selected artist for the 2011 inaugural Trailside Galleries Summer Miniature Art Show & Sale, Jackson, WY
- Juried artist for the June 10-July 9, 2011 OPA National Art Show & Sale, Devin Galleries, Coeur d'Alene, ID
- Landscape painting "Changing Seasons" featured in the March, 2011 issue of Western Art Collector magazine.
- Juried artist for the C. M. Russell Museum's 2011 "The Russell" Art Show & Sale, Great Falls, MT
- Selected artist for the C. M. Russell Museum's 2011 "Art in Action" quick draw event, Great Falls, MT
- Juried artist for the 2011 "Western Masters" Art Show & Sale, Great Falls, MT
- Selected for the 2011 American Miniatures Show, Settlers West Gallery, Tucson, AZ
- Juried artist for the 2011 Panhandle-Plains Invitational Western Art Show & Sale, Canyon, TX
- Selected for the Greeley Stampede 12th Annual Invitational Art Exhibit & Sale, Greeley, CO
- Nationally juried artist for the April 22nd, 2011 1st annual Scottsdale Salon of Fine Art, Scottsdale, AZ
- Nationally selected artist for June, 2011, 8-Day Plein Air Oil Painting Workshop in Provence, France
- Nationally juried artist for the Crested Butte Plein Air Invitational show and sale, Crested Butte, CO
- Invited artist for August 13, 2011 2-Person Art Show at Total Arts Gallery, Taos, NM
- Juried artist for the September, 2011 Art for the Sangres Show & Sale, Westcliffe, CO
- Nationally juried artist for the September 10-17, 2011 Plein Air on the Rim, Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
- Invited artist for the September 22-29, 2011 Sedona Plein Air Festival, Sedona, AZ
- Nationally Invited artist for the November 20, 2011 Mountain Oyster Club Art Show, Tucson, AZ
David W. Mayer has a sold out showing at the New "The Russell" sale to benefit the C.M. Russell Museum and the Original C.M. Russell Art Auction sponsored by the Great Falls Ad Club.
- Nationally juried artist for the 7th Annual Telluride Plein Air show and sale, June 28-July 4, 2010, Telluride, CO.
- Selected artist for the NEW 2010 "The Russell" Museum Art Show, March 18-20, 2010, Great Falls, MT.
- Selected for the March 19, 2010 "Art in Action" live painting event at "The Russell" art sale, Great Falls, MT.
- Selected for the Greeley Stampede 11th Annual Invitational Art Exhibit & Sale, June 25-July 4, 2010, Greeley
- Selected for the 2010 American Miniatures Show, Settlers West Gallery, Tucson, Arizona
- Invited to teach "Enchanted Landscapes" Workshop at 2010 Masterworks of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM 2009
- Yellowstone Painting “Late Summer on the Firehole River” Selected for the 2009 Paint the Parks Second 100
- Selected for OPA Western Regional Juried Exhibition at Howard/Mandville Gallery in Kirkland, Washington
- 2009 Workshop Faculty at Evergreen Fine Art Academy along with Scott Christensen, Kim English and Others
- Feature Article in June, 2009 "Plein Air" Issue of Southwest Art Magazine
- Summer Roundup Art Show at Big Horn Gallery, Cody, Wyoming
- Invited to Participate in the Gilcrease Museum's American Art in Miniature Show, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Sold Out Show during April, 2009 at the Arts at Denver Gallery Grand Opening, Denver, Colorado
- Selected and Sold at American Miniatures Show, Settlers West Gallery, Tucson, Arizona
- Selected as Guest Artist for Peterson-Cody Gallery Spring Art Show, Santa Fe, New Mexico
- Three Person Show at Piñon Fine Art, Littleton, Colorado
- Selected as Guest Artist for Galerie Gabrie Spring Art Show, Pasadena, California
- Featured artist for 13th Annual Labor Day Richard Schmid Fine Art Auction, Rist Canyon, Colorado
- Selected Artist for Sixteenth Annual 2008 Governor's Invitational Art Show
- "Nomadas Del Arte" Plein Air Invitational, March 1st - 31st, 2008, Sage Creek Gallery, Santa Fe, New Mexico
- Other Shows, Awards and Recognition
- Received "Award of Excellence" at 2007 16th National Oil Painters of America (OPA) Show at Whistle Pik Galleries
- Selected for International Exhibition of the Society of Master Impressionists in Amarillo, Texas
- Selected artist for Annual Labor Day Richard Schmid Fine Art Auctions
- Invited to Phippen Museum Western Art Show & Sale, Prescott, AZ
- Selected for "Landscapes of Colorado" Fine Art Book
- American Miniatures Shows, Settlers West Gallery, Tucson, Arizona
- Peppertree Art Show, Santa Ynez, California
- Colorado Mountain Club Landscape Show, Golden, Colorado
- Rocky Mountain Plein Air Painters (RMPAP) Paint Out and Show, Jackson, Wyoming
- One Person Show, High Country Water, Piñon Fine Art Gallery, Denver, Colorado
- Collector's Choice Award, 3rd Annual Rocky Mountain Plein Air Painters (RMPAP) Show
- Alla Prima International Show, Taos, New Mexico
- Artistic Award of Merit, Salon International Art Show, Greenhouse Gallery, San Antonio, Texas
- Annual Colorado Governor's Invitational Art Show, Loveland, Colorado
- National Oil Painters of America (OPA) Shows
- West/Southwest/Mountain Region Oil Painters of America (OPA) Shows
- Collector's Choice Award, 2nd annual Rocky Mountain Plein Air Painters (RMPAP) Show
- Featured in 2003 and 2004 Southwest Art Magazine
David W. Mayer's painting "First Light at Cottonwood Pass" received an
"Award of Excellence" from awards judge Quang Ho at the 16th Annual National Exhibition
of the Oil Painters of America (OPA) held at
Whistle Pik Galleries in Fredericksburg, Texas held during May, 2007.
See the feature article on David's plein air and studio landscape oil paintings
in the June, 2009 issue of Southwest Art magazine